Friday, November 13, 2009

Are gladiolus perennials?

yes, they are. However, every few years you need to dig the bulbs and separate them (so they don't get overcrowded). They are beautiful as well!!|||They're usually hardy to about zone 7-9. Check the label when you buy them. If you're in a colder zone (lower number) you'll need to dig them up every year.





Check the USDA hardiness zone to find out what zone you're in.


http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzma...|||Only with a little help. If the temperature in winter goes below 35 degrees, the bulbs need to be dug up and kept in storage for the winter.|||I have Glads in zone 6, gets pretty cold here in OK. but they come up every year.|||I suppose it depends on where you live. Actually I believe they are classified as perennials. I live in the deep south, and my glads are already over a foot high. Not blooming yet, but the foliage is beautiful. Here in the south, it is not necessary for me to remove my glad bulbs in the winter. They come back every year. However, since the old glad corm ("bulb") dies off and replaces itself with a new corm on top every year, the bulbs will work themselves to the surface after a few years. So, I dig up my glad bulbs every 3 years, divide them, remove any "babies" and replant the glads in February.





If the ground freezes below a depth of an inch or two where you live, you should dig up your bulbs every year and store them in a cool dark place.

No comments:

Post a Comment