Monday, May 11, 2009

When to plant gladiolus - zone 5?

I have about 200 gladiolus bulbs stored in a bedroom upstairs that are beginning to sprout. I live in Indiana, zone 5, how soon can I plant them outdoors?|||You can't plant them for at least until April. You need to put them in the refridgerator to temporarily stunt the growth. Your bulbs are getting confused by the warmth in the house and are sprouting way too early. If you plant them outside now, they will in all likelyhood get bit by a freeze.|||Call your County Extension Agent for your local area. They are very knowledgeable and provide services free of charge - your tax dollars pay their salary! They will even come out to your home, test your soil, and direct you as to any problems you are having with your soil, grass, plants, trees, etc.

1 comment:

  1. I have like 50 or more gladiolus bulbs.
    i planted my glads last year...
    i am just not sure when to plant my bulbs(it's going to be 30 degrees at night;some time this week)i am just not sure if the 30 degrees we kill them; so i just don't know when plant them

    P.S Help !!

    ReplyDelete